X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome to the DIY Area

Hi there Folks,
    Now there are few things more manly than sitting back and admiring something you've built yourself.
    There is nothing like the thrill of enjoying the visual aspect of something you have designed and bought to it's fruition, through your own tools and your own sweat and toil.

What I intend to do here is give a Forum for those men that like to build things for themselves and enjoy getting the tools out and making a mess, to effect an exceptional result.

If you need help with a given project you are working on, or you are looking to tackle something in the near future, run it by us first, I'm sure that we can get you on the right path to a successful outcome.

Just a bit about myself,
    I've been a Registered Electrician (now also an Inspector) here in New Zealand for about 20 years and have worked in with builders, plumbers, plasterers, you name it, I have picked up a LOT of Trade experience from these guys.

I have experience as a Fitter/Welder as well, this is what I did before I was ever an Electrician, I tend to love building things out of steel and it's variants, it is easy to work with and join together as long as you follow a small set of simple rules.

Also, I have renovated the last 3 houses I've lived in and on-sold them at a reasonable , but not large profit.
    Having said that, I am most definitely not a "House-Flipper" and take the time to do things properly, enjoying the fact of merely doing the work than seeking financial benefit.

So, if it is good advice you want or need, about the "way of the hammer, saw and spanner", let's get this thing moving.

Crikey, it doesn't even need to be about a project, maybe you want to buy a specific hand or power tool and are unsure of what exactly to get, there is a LOT of mis-information out there and you could wind up getting something that is totally unsuitable for what you are going to be using it for and could end up hurting you.

Bring it on, guys!

Mike T.

Re: Welcome to the DIY Area

Good deal Mike.

I'm a Carpenter/Mason by trade. I've built several houses, condos, and taken part in quite a bit of commercial work. I like the Idea of having this forum handy. You hit it on the head Mike. Building is creating is admiring.

I'll be happy to lend what knowledge I have as well. Maybe pick yours as well.

Comment

A DIY section, a Great Idea !!!

Comment

Quote from Bmiricle View Post

I'm a Carpenter/Mason by trade. I've built several houses, condos, and taken part in quite a bit of commercial work. I like the Idea of having this forum handy. You hit it on the head Mike. Building is creating is admiring.

I'll be happy to lend what knowledge I have as well. Maybe pick yours as well.
        Good stuff, man!
        Look, at the end of the day we are all here to help one another, if it means I can pass on what I've picked up over the years, all the better, IMO, this is what having a Trade is all about, sure I've made money with it in the past (which is why I got into it in the first place, I suppose), but hell if you can't give others a bit of good advice without getting the invoice book out, what does that say about you as a tradesman or indeed a person?

I've always had the idea that you NEVER stop learning, it could be a better, simpler way of doing a certain task or even just planning out a job before it starts.
        If I learn something from you guys here, that is an added bonus.

And remember guys, the stupidest question is the one that is never asked!!
        Marx has been kind enough to provide this Area, I'd like to see it become a really lively discussion of DIY and ideas you may have.

Comment

Great Idea for a forum. Looks like we have some knowledgeable people here too. I'm a big fan of the site Instructables.com, though I don't get much time for projects.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

MikeT Man, 37, Self Employed, Registered Electrician, and Radio Ham, 2nd Dan Kendoka Find out more about MikeT
          Working...
          X