Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women told 'drink less' to avoid rape

Quote from KATE FOSTER
    A POLICE chief sparks controversy today by suggesting the number of rapes in Scotland could be substantially reduced if women drank less.

Richardson said: "In many cases the women reported being victims of date rape drugs but analysis shows it was far more likely they have just fallen victim to alcohol."

But rape support and alcohol workers insist women should be able to drink without fear of being attacked.

Elsewhere in the city, a 25-year-old woman, who asked not to be named, told how last year a friend woke to find a man she met in a nightclub sexually assaulting her.

Although the friend had taken the man back to her flat, she had refused to have sex with him before passing out from too much drink. When she came to, she found she was being raped but was too afraid to stop it, unable to recall if she had consented while intoxicated.
    More at Scotland on Sunday.

Re: Women told 'drink less' to avoid rape

A touchy subject that is no doubt, difficult to approach without being cast by feminists as 'pro-rape'. I say kudos to the police officer for a few points:
    • Stating common sense/the obvoius
      Knowing he'll be under feirce attack, but doing it anyway
      Potentially putting his career on the cutting block
      For bringing attention to the reality that date-rape drugs aren't in quite such large circulation as we're led to believe.
    The most offensive thing you can do to a feminist is treat her with FULL equality.
    --Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.--

►A Decade of Investment in YOUR Future. ►AntiMisandry.com

Comment

But rape support and alcohol workers insist women should be able to drink without fear of being attacked.
      They should. But things don't work that way.
      Instead of making women take responsibility for their own actions, they are criminalising men simply for being men and therefore 'potential rapists'.

There are places in the town that I live, that at certain times, it is not a good idea to go there because some group of drunks will probably beat the sh!t out of me.
      Now, I should be able to go there there without fear of being attacked, but it is a better idea for me just to use common sense and not go there and thus not put myself in danger in the first place.
      If I did go there and got beaten up, although I wouldn't be to blame, I would have to shoulder some of the responsibilty for putting myself in that situation.

Hm. Hope that made sense.

Comment

Quote from Major Tom
        They should. But things don't work that way.
        There are places in the town that I live, that at certain times, it is not a good idea to go there because some group of drunks will probably beat the sh!t out of me.
        Now, I should be able to go there there without fear of being attacked, but it is a better idea for me just to use common sense and not go there and thus not put myself in danger in the first place.
        Exactly, Tom, exactly. I wanted to say the exact same thing.

Anyway, they are silly. I guess saying "I have the right" does the trick for them and ends the discussion. OK, their choice.

Comment

It's too bad that it is "controversial" to advise people to excercise self-control and take ordinary precautions while drinking. I was 17, maybe 18 the first time I drank too much while partying with a date and put myself in a vulnerable position. It scared me when I realized I was too drunk to defend myself if necessary. Fortunately I was with a nice normal guy who didn't get too drunk, but I learned something nevertheless.

Comment

Wasn't it just last year that a Constable told people that women should avoid dressing provocatively if they want to avoid rape? The result of that incident was a series of protests called the Sl*tWalk. Why are people getting mad over common sense? Why such outrage? They should know that if a person is drunk, the brain is not at its right place at the moment. The person doesn't remember what happened when they were drunk. If women want to avoid rape, they should simply:

*avoid being alone
            *stay in crowded places
            *dress modestly (or decently)
            *don't get drunk
            *avoid seedy places
            *don't talk to strangers
            *avoid parties with alcohol and drugs

..This is what gets women angry? Really?! This is stuff that was taught to us since we were children!

Comment

Quote from nezuminico View Post
              Wasn't it just last year that a Constable told people that women should avoid dressing provocatively if they want to avoid rape? The result of that incident was a series of protests called the Sl*tWalk. Why are people getting mad over common sense? Why such outrage? They should know that if a person is drunk, the brain is not at its right place at the moment. The person doesn't remember what happened when they were drunk. If women want to avoid rape, they should simply:

*avoid being alone
              *stay in crowded places
              *dress modestly (or decently)
              *don't get drunk
              *avoid seedy places
              *don't talk to strangers
              *avoid parties with alcohol and drugs

..This is what gets women angry? Really?! This is stuff that was taught to us since we were children!
              Exactly! So many women have been sold on the lie that if it weren't for those pesky men, they'd have unbridled freedom.

Um, it doesn't quite work that way

Comment

This is an old thread, but still relevant. I actually just got into an argument on Facebook (yes... I do know how lame that sounds. Quiet, you) over the issue. A woman had posted how she was so offended at the advice women are given to avoid being alone at night, or to watch their drinks (I find it offensive that only women are warned). Something similar was posted by several other Facebook friends about how horrible it is to caution women about rape, that it's victim blaming. This is stupid. Beyond stupid. I have never heard anyone say that women ever deserve to get raped for being alone at night, or how women who aren't careful of their drinks deserve to get drugged. Telling people to be careful is not the same as telling them it's their fault if someone harms them. I've seen signs in big cities warning to be careful of pick pockets, to watch valuables, etc., yet there's no complaints that it's blaming the victims of theft. If I close my eyes and causally stroll across the street, I am in danger of being hit by a careless driver. Pedestrians have the right of way (at least in the US), and any car hitting me would be at fault, but that doesn't mean I am offended at the warning to pay attention when crossing the road. The idea that telling women to be careful of rapists is not the same thing as blaming them for getting raped, no more than telling people not to wander dark alleys at night is blaming them for getting mugged. The only thing offensive about this advice is it feeds into the paranoia that men are all predatory monsters, waiting for the chance to stick their Phallus Of Evil into any hapless victim who lets her guard down for a moment. Both men and women should be advised to be careful, watch their drinks, be wary of people they don't know who are acting strange, and just be aware of surroundings.

Comment

Quote from Mateusz View Post
                  This is an old thread, but still relevant. I actually just got into an argument on Facebook (yes... I do know how lame that sounds. Quiet, you) over the issue. A woman had posted how she was so offended at the advice women are given to avoid being alone at night, or to watch their drinks (I find it offensive that only women are warned). Something similar was posted by several other Facebook friends about how horrible it is to caution women about rape, that it's victim blaming. This is stupid. Beyond stupid. I have never heard anyone say that women ever deserve to get raped for being alone at night, or how women who aren't careful of their drinks deserve to get drugged. Telling people to be careful is not the same as telling them it's their fault if someone harms them. I've seen signs in big cities warning to be careful of pick pockets, to watch valuables, etc., yet there's no complaints that it's blaming the victims of theft. If I close my eyes and causally stroll across the street, I am in danger of being hit by a careless driver. Pedestrians have the right of way (at least in the US), and any car hitting me would be at fault, but that doesn't mean I am offended at the warning to pay attention when crossing the road. The idea that telling women to be careful of rapists is not the same thing as blaming them for getting raped, no more than telling people not to wander dark alleys at night is blaming them for getting mugged. The only thing offensive about this advice is it feeds into the paranoia that men are all predatory monsters, waiting for the chance to stick their Phallus Of Evil into any hapless victim who lets her guard down for a moment. Both men and women should be advised to be careful, watch their drinks, be wary of people they don't know who are acting strange, and just be aware of surroundings.
                  Very well said. Some good ol' common sense.

Comment

Most of them can drink safely without being attacked. However, it seems that many who are "attacked" simply redefine what was consensual under the influence of alchohol as a sexual assault later on:
                    Although the friend had taken the man back to her flat, she had refused to have sex with him before passing out from too much drink. When she came to, she found she was being raped but was too afraid to stop it, unable to recall if she had consented while intoxicated.
                    No doubt the man had also drunk a lot. Had he consented, also? Was he to find himself in a stranger's bed under the influence of alchohol and equally able to consider that she had made a sexual assault on him, abusing him just because he was stupid enough to get drunk?

This does NOT excuse people who purposely target drunken men and women for sexual assault. It only makes it hard to distinguish real sexual assault victims when too many are blaming their own actions on other people.

It's not as if we are talking about chilren, here, nor about people being given drugs without their awareness. If you drug yourself with something so common and so well documented and discussed as alchohol, then you should accept the consequences for your own actions, whatever they may be. There is no excuse for pretending that you had no idea what you were doing - you consented to whatever followed as soon as you deliberately drugged yourself. Male AND female.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Rebadow I'm sick of preferential treatment women get all the time and yet they still have the nerve to complain about some nebulous Evil Patriarchy.[.:::.] Find out more about Rebadow
                    Working...
                    X