Server Load Averages - too high!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Load Averages - too high!

OK so recently we've seen a HUGE influx in the volume of traffic to this site (lurkers, members, friends, enemies, passer-bys, etc.)

But, I've been looking under the hood and the system is struggling to keep up.

A server load average should rest about 0.5 for average days... AM is hitting 1.5 (i.e. 3x more)

We may at some point need another upgrade.
    The most offensive thing you can do to a feminist is treat her with FULL equality.
    --Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.--

►A Decade of Investment in YOUR Future. ►AntiMisandry.com

Re: Server Load Averages - too high!

I've definitely noticed an increase in member participation over a number of months now, which is great (recently around 20+ members online at peak times).

Is there any way to cut down on the more unwelcome elements that 'impose' on our fine forum?

Comment

Quote from Celtic Druid View Post
      Is there any way to cut down on the more unwelcome elements that 'impose' on our fine forum?
      There's no realistic way of identifying which viewer is pro/anti feminist... Everyone gets a peek in for free! We could perhaps limit page views, but google will kick AM's ass for doing that.
      The most offensive thing you can do to a feminist is treat her with FULL equality.

Comment

Karl,
        Why must us people that regularly "clock-in" or submit things here be lumbered with the wieght of those that just can't be bothered to register an account?
        I try to do my best with donations, but it seems like the over-whelming aspect is that these people can get a "free-ride".
        I'm not saying close it off to the general public, there needs to however be a line drawn somewhere though, how long have some of these guests or lurkers been browsing this forum without signing up?

Comment

I think the whole thing of letting guests post is actually rather wise, as otherwise you'd see a lot of sockpuppet accounts from the feminist lobby. Perhaps limiting the number of posts guests can make in a certain amount of time unless you've already done it? As we know, they won't defend their views because the defence will fall apart. They just hit and run, akin to a type of trolling. So, encouraging actual interested guests to register can't be bad, either.

Comment

How about selecting forums which are for members only (such as food, advice, maybe even activist) and leaving open those forums that we WANT the outsiders to view - i.e. those which highlight what the issues are and show feminism for what it is.

Comment

Great ideas!

I'm sorry the trafficking is causing this load excess. I think - at least even if only as a temporary measure - I'll implement Douglas' idea about selective forums.

Comment

Quote from Douglas View Post
                How about selecting forums which are for members only (such as food, advice, maybe even activist) and leaving open those forums that we WANT the outsiders to view - i.e. those which highlight what the issues are and show feminism for what it is.
                I think this is a great idea! But an upgrade must be considered. A cost benifit analysis must be performed. Any lack of action that would inhibit traffic of any kind would be negative in my view.

Comment

BTW folks... I'd just to make note, while I fully understand the position most of us are in regarding donations - this thread is about the technical aspect of the site, not money. Yes, donations always help and will always be gratefully received - I'm not asking anyone for assistance (aside the generic donations tab).
                  The point of the thread was to inform you all that in the near future the site MAY go down a while as the upgrade procedure is performed. If you recall the last time we had a hardware upgrade - it took a couple of days for me to do it fully.

Comment

I just took a quick looksy under the hood... and so far, (remembering it's Sunday) we're doing quite ok...

0.43 | 0.45 | 0.50

Comment

A very good idea !!!

Comment

My thoughts exactly

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Marx A father of three wonderful children, almost adults now! Doesn't time fly? I am the founder and top tier admin for Anti Misandry and have been running this site for over a decade, with occasional 'down times' when in need of a break. My main working life has been largely in two fields quite far apart, the care industry (with adults with learning difficulties) and computers; selling, repairing, programming and so on. Find out more about Marx
                        Working...
                        X