No announcement yet.

Debates we've had with feminists

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debates we've had with feminists

So, I thought there should be a thread where we can talk about the discussions and debates we get into with feminists on other sites or in real life.

I was recently in a debate about the concept of male privilege. The person I was arguing with said that men had privilege by virtue of being treated as default and women as a variation/other. I agreed that men were treated as default, but disagreed that such was inherently privileging, arguing that there are plenty of deviations from the norm that are treated better than the norm is treated, and that being treated as "special" or "exceptional" is equally privileging. The fem then pointed out to me that most leads on TV are male, and I pointed out that male characters that weren't leads were more likely to be villains or considered worthless than female characters who weren't leads, which are typically considered worthy of interest just for being female.

Re: Debates we've had with feminists

A recent short Twitter debate: "Why They Are Called Femtards."

And a longer in-person debate: "Empowering Women!"

Gee, where do I start?
      Many of the debates I've had with feminists don't last long and often ended with pig, thug, misogynist, macho man and any other word found in the feminist thesaurus. Most of the those debates were a complete waste of time an brought light to an old quote. "You can't fix stupid."

The 'default' position is an interesting concept.

It cuts both ways of course.

All dangerous and dirty jobs seem to default to men.

I am hard pressed to find an exception that proves the rule, although very occasionally the press bursts into life with an article about a woman brick-layer or on-trawler fish gutter, and she is hailed as heroic or smashing glass ceilings/breaking into a 'Male Dominated' (hiss, boo) role. She becomes for a moment as lauded as a homosexual in gold-lame shorts prancing in the Mardi Gras.
        When in need of a drink to Refresh the soul
        Drop into the Knight & Drummer Free House.
        Always leave a Comment as a tip.

Cum dilectione hominum et odio vitiorum
        Love the Sinner but not the Sin.

“For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against Principalities, against Powers,
        against the Rulers of the Darkness of this world, against Spiritual Wickedness in high places.“
        (and within ourselves)

A Feminist is a human being who has lost her way and turned vicious. If you meet one on the road as you
        Go your Own Way, offer kindness but keep your sword drawn.

About the Author

LeighSabio Let's get this out of the way: I am not an old, rich, white man, a redneck, or a housewife. Just because I'm not a feminist doesn't make me one of those things. But it's so much easier to say what I'm not than what I am, especially because our perceptions of ourselves aren't always accurate. So I'm going to use personality test stats to give a more objective look: 5-factor: I'm low agreeableness and conscientiousness, high neuroticism and openness to experience, and medium extroversion. Meyers-Briggs: ENTP Empathizing-systemizing: Highly systemizing Bem Sex Role Inventory: 64/100 on masculinity, 48/100 on femininity, 48/100 on androgyny Find out more about LeighSabio